Saturday 23 April 2011

Ring Ring! Hello?

Date: 13/4/11                                                                                                              Teacher: Mindy


Since the telephone was invented, it has been a form of information and communication technology (ICT). You pick up the receiver, dial a number, the receiver hears and receives the call, answers the call then the conversation and communication begins. People can choose to talk to others on the phone if they prefer not to talk to them face to face, I feel it is the next best thing to talking to others face to face.

Today B brought her toy cell phone to KKH for sharing at show and tell time and showed it to me. “Look at my cell phone Mindy!” It was a toy Nokia cell phone. She had seen my cell phone before and so asked me to show it to her. I took my cell phone out of my handbag and handed the phone to her. My cell phone is a Sony Ericsson, but has similar features to other cell phones even though the brand and style is different. B studied the cell phone for awhile and I showed her the various features of the phone such as the envelope symbol is where you go to send a text message.  “Can I write a text message?” asked B. “Sure.” I answered and using the letters corresponding to the numbers on my phone, she wrote, “Hi Mindy my name is B.”  Then C and A came over to join us by this time.





Then B used her cell phone, pressed a button that made a sound then said, “Hello?” I picked up my phone and then also said “Hi B! It’s Mindy! How are you today?” “Hi Mindy! I’m good!”  “Isn’t this fun? Talking on the phone?” “Yup! Hahaha!” “Cool eh?” “Yup!" "We should do this more often!" "Yeah!" "Okay B, thanks for calling, it's time for Mindy to go now, nice talking to you!" “Okay, bye!” “Bye!” I put the phone away and B showed C and A her cell phone, pressing the buttons, then B made a ‘phone call’ to A and C and they had a phone conversation. Then I watched B “call” her Dad, pressing the buttons to dial a number and talked to him - "Hello? Hi Dad! It's me B! How is work going today? Can you buy me Nutella for my lunch? Ok thanks, Bye Dad!" I went to B and said “Nice of you to want to talk to your Dad. You miss him don't you?” She nodded. Then I explained to her that when she does talk on the phone to make sure that it is with someone she knows and not to use silly language when talking or texting, to emphasise the centre rules and model safe use of information and communication technology. C and A found a cordless phone from the family corner then B called them  and they had conversation together. 



B writing a text message




With the use of a form of ICT like cell phones, the children learned numerous skills. Through provided opportunities the children was able to learn to initiate a conversation and take the initiative during conversations, develop the ability to converse with others and “the expectation that verbal communication will be a source of delight, comfort, and amusement and that it can be used to effectively communicate ideas and information and solve problems” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.76). They also develop listening skills and then reply with an appropriate response (Ministry of Education, 1996). 

B learned she can verbally communicate on the phone her needs and/or wants to someone like her Dad. That is how telephones work and at some stage in the future she will make an actual phone call with a real telephone or cell phone beyond her home or classroom. Obviously she already has some knowledge and skills from watching her. B also learned how the letters and numbers interlinked as she wrote a text message using an actual cell phone, and thus how a cell phone works and its popular feature text messaging. I feel in the future she will be really good at it. 
Children’s belongings tell a lot about themselves and their interests to others. Thus when a teacher and other people show an interest this allows them to develop “a sense of ‘who they are’, their place in the wider world of relationships, and the ways in which these are valued" (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.68.). 



B showed me she found the envelope symbol and is about to click on it

Everyday experiences, especially in technology, I feel, should be incorporated in early childhood centres to enhance children’s learning (Ministry of Education, 2005). This is now part of their lives and learning journey as they continue to utilise and develop their communication and social skills.

Obviously, a cell phone, when used properly can create opportunities for social interaction and conversation (Van Scoter, Ellis & Railsback, 2001). As a teacher I feel I should model safe and responsible use of information and communication technology to encourage the students to be safe and responsible users of technology (Netsafe, 2008) as well as identify and deal with the concerns of safety and appropriateness (Ministry of Education, 2005).  It is important for B to learn to keep safe from harm (Ministry of Education, 1996). 

A now is talking to B 


Where to next?

I would provide my students with an opportunity to explore with different types of telephones such as various used but real telephones and cell phones, where the children can press buttons and make numerous phone calls and conversations. I could take the children to the office so the children can observe ICT in action, for example how the fax can work like the telephone as well as observing the telephone being in use in the office. "Identify and accessing ICT resources beyond the classroom is one way of helping children to see ICT being used in real contexts" (O'Hara, 2004, p.55).

I might also provide the children with the resources and materials for them to make telephones, such as paper cups and strings, cardboard, paper and more. This will help the children learn the different creative ways that telephones and phone calls can be made. 



C is now talking to B


B calling and talking to Dad

A and C having another conversation and enjoying it!


Reference List


Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whãriki: He whãriki mãtauranga mõ 
           ngã mokopuna o Aotearoa:  Early childhood                                                       curriculum. WellingtonLearning Media. 



Ministry of Education. (2005). Foundations for discovery. Wellington,                            New Zealand: Learning Media. 

Netsafe. (2008). Netsafe kit for ECE. WellingtonNew Zealand: Ministry of                  Education.

O'Hara, M. (2004). ICT in the early years. London: Continuum. 


Van Scoter, J., Ellis, D., & Railsback, J. (2001).Technology in early                        childhood education:   Finding the  balance. Portland, United                       States of America: Northwest Regional Educational Laboratory.

2 comments:

  1. Mindy I think normal phones and cell phones are the main technology which children can always have access to. This starts from home and nowdays every house has got phones and children are really keen to know how it works and where is the voice coming from. All this experience started at home that's why children have more knowledge about the phones. Now we have toy phones for children, I dont think that they are really keen on that either. These days they are after the real ones which has got lights and makes different sounds. It is good to see that you sat down with children and showed your phone features and anwserd their questions. You involved in their play and this gave them ideas to use technology in the centre. This way children will have more idea about cell phones. I am glad to see that you considerd safety of children when using cell phones.I can see that you want to implement real used phones in the centre. It is a good idea but do consider children's safety. Take out the batteries before handing them over to the children, as this is not very good for children.You can also show them different types of cell phones by getting a shops catalogue in your centre or showing them on internet.It is a good idea to extend children's interest in technology so that in near future they know everything and be a capable learner and teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Priti
    Thanks for your comment. You have given me some great ideas on what to do to help extend their interest and learning. I do agree that children these days are into the real things, they may even want to have an actual cell phone of their own. However the children at my centre love to make and draw things so I think they would be still be keen. I always consider their safety, it is very important. The batteries are taken out of the telephones before we let the children use them. Thanks again Priti I appreciate your comment and what you've said have given me things to think about for my reflection

    ReplyDelete