Thursday 17 March 2011

Blog One - Say cheese, click! :) Young Talented Photographers


Date: 18/3/11           Teacher: Mindy

Today, K and M saw me taking pictures with my digital camera and
asked me if they can take pictures too with my camera. Since I was there, I didn't mind. First I showed them the pictures that I had taken of them with my camera. They loved the pictures and were fascinated at what they saw. I  noticed that obviously they were curious as to what I was doing and thus wanted to do the same. 

Being curious at to what they are going to do with the camera and
how the pictures they are about to take are going to end up, I stood near them. I asked, them "Now that you have the camera, what are going to do with it? What are you going to take pictures of?" 

They replied, "You!" and burst into laughter. I laughed too, when I heard that. "Sure you can take pictures of me, anything else?" 

"Ummm" They are thinking hard. "Anything!" 

"Great! Here's the camera, go for it!" I encouraged. 





Our garden's flowers

They took the photo and, being curious as to how the photos would turn out, I followed them. 
M had the camera said “Mindy I’ll take a picture of you first!” I told them where to press to take a picture. After that, I wanted them to decide where the picture should be taken, so I asked them, “Where would you like to take the picture?” K, immediately said, “I know, over there, outside by the garden!”  We went outside and then once I posed for the photo, they clicked away!  “Say cheese Mindy!” said M. Then they walked around the garden, stopped and took some more photos, of their friends, the garden and the worm farm. Then they came to me and I showed them the pictures they took and the other features of the camera.  They passed the camera to each other to have pictures of themselves taken. We even went outside by the grass and trees and they clicked away. "Look!" Said A, "Our shadows!" Then she took a picture. We went back inside and they took more photos. I commented on how they had done a good job! 




The grass by the trees outside



From today, obviously M and K are developing some photography skills. They might have seen their parents or other relatives taking pictures with cameras, and may have used one at home themselves. From noticing their interests, their words and what they were doing with the camera, this shows that they already have some knowledge of how cameras work. They could have learned these ‘photography skills’ at home or elsewhere.

It is important that the children’s skills within their interests such as photography, communication skills and social skills are developed and extended further. They will stay excited and keen learn more. They will thus develop a “perception of themselves as ‘explorers’ – competent, confident learners who ask questions and make discoveries” (Ministry of Education, 1996, p.88).  They were so eager and curious to use the camera, so I felt that it was a good opportunity for them to use this technology to help them learn. Their exploration, curiosity and giving things a go are valuable and important ways to learn (Ministry of Education, 1996). 




A saw the shadows!
Why should we let children use technology? Smorti (1999) states that "technology is a creative and purposeful activity aimed at meeting the needs of opportunities through the development of products systems and environments" (p.5).  Children would be able to take this opportunity to capture their learning moments whilst experimenting and developing their skills. 

As a teacher I feel it is important to support, encourage and implement on children’s interests and curiosity. Thus I allow them to explore their environment around them such as the garden, the people such as myself and their friends and the camera to find out more. These are all important to them and their learning. They can they build on this knowledge of the world around them (Allen, 2002).



 A picture S took of me :) 



This is me, it's not very clear, but I wanted the children to explore.



K and M are provided with the necessary opportunities for them to use and build on their interest in digital cameras. This would enhance their learning and thinking further. To extend their interest even further, I would want to provide the children with more opportunities for exploration with the possibility of showing them different brands and types of cameras, books  about cameras, and the possible ways of incorporating cameras in their play, a photoshoot? I would want to encourage them to show the pictures they took to their friends. Also if possible, maybe a professional photographer could come to KKHC and talk to the children about taking photos and features of the camera that he or she uses. The possibilities are endless! 


S about to take a picture! 



Reference List


Allen, P.(2002). Science and Technology in the early childhood setting. Christchurch, New Zealand: User Friendly Resources.


Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whãriki: He whãriki mãtauranga mõ ngã mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington: Learning Media.

Smorti, S. (1999). Technology in Early Childhood. Early Education, No.19 Autumn 1999, 5-10. 













5 comments:

  1. Hi Mindy

    These are beautiful photos. It is an interesting exercise to give children cameras and then see what they choose to take photos of. Disposal cameras are another cheap option to use with children if centres are worried about children breaking their digital cameras - but sometimes I think teachers need to let go of some control and trust children more.

    If this is the post you sent me for formative feedback then you are definitely on track : ) What do other people think of the learning that went on in this blog? How have other people been using cameras to build on children's curiosity and extend their learning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great reflection Mindy. If the children put their hand through the wrist strap it reduces the risk of the camera being dropped. It is totally appropriate for children to use digital cameras. They are reasonably tough in terms of being dropped. The instant reward of seeing the photo on the back of the digital is so rewarding. The other thing is you can delete the ones you don't want, and only print the ones chosen for printing. Editing and helping the children develope their own learning stories is somthing we quite often do for our children. Especially great to be able to take their stories home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mindy
    What a lovely photos, better than the one I took of my centre.These children are a pro, and was lovely of you to lend them your own digital camera.The best way to learn about something is by trial and error. The nice thing about digital cameras is that you can take as many pictures as you want and just erase the ones you don't want. Magic huh?

    Did you also teach them to use different perspectives by shooting pictures from down low, and shooting them up high. Perhaps showing them how to use the zoom so they can experiment with wide angled shots, and close ups next time,and lastly, show them how to experiment with the different settings of the camera. Experimentation is the best way to learn, and yes once they have learn the different function of the button of the digital camera, you will be telling them to take photos of their own work, so the result is less work for us teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mindy, good to see that the children had lots of fun. Your experience above clearly points out that young children learn really fast from their environment. What's more important is that they have a hand on approach, this I find is missing from a lot of modern school's due to overloading of students and less teachers and classrooms. When young children are given a hand on approach I strongly believe their mind 'explores' and learns faster and very importantly develops its own way. I can't tell from the pictures taken above but I am sure if we separated them K and M would have a different style of photography even quality to shots etc. As teachers I strongly believe that the most critical part of a child's education is developing their unique ability to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mindy,

    As I read your post, I remembered that I did photography with my 4 year olds, it emerged from one child and then it became one of our on going projects, as children are very curious and curiosity leads to wanting to take photos. I also learnt on the way that by encouraging children to photography is always the process not so much of the product and when I read some of your ideas, that is so true, you guided them through, talked about what they took photos off and why?. But I also realised that photography was also teaching them about zoom in and out and blurry photos and why they were blurry I recognised that in one of your photo. This is awesome work and you did remind me of my past project I did I hope I didnt make you sleep lol.

    Ka pai to mahi Mindy

    ReplyDelete